Monday, July 2, 2012

Renowned Journalist Anderson Cooper Reveals that He is Gay

Anderson Cooper Announces that he is a gay

Image Source:  http://ll-media.tmz.com/2012/07/02/0702-anderson-cooper-1.jpg

There are many homosexual men who rose into the media’s spotlight because of their innate talent and charisma. Some of these talented men are Elton John (musician), Ricky Martin (singer), Freddie Mercury (musician), Neil Patrick Harris (actor), Jim Parsons (actor), and many more.

Just recently, the public learned that there is another talented and charismatic gay man in the media industry, and that is no other than Anderson Cooper, a renowned journalist and television host.

In Andrew Sullivan’s column The Dish (The Daily Beast), he reported that Cooper sent an elaborate email that revealed his true sexuality. In the said email, the 45-year-old journalist said:
“I’ve also been reminded recently that while as a society we are moving toward greater inclusion and equality for all people, the tide of history only advances when people make themselves fully visible. There continue to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages, based on their sexual orientation, and I believe there is value in making clear where I stand.

The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud.

I have always been very open and honest about this part of my life with my friends, my family, and my colleagues. In a perfect world, I don't think it's anyone else's business, but I do think there is value in standing up and being counted. I’m not an activist, but I am a human being and I don't give that up by being a journalist.”

In this regard, Cooper’s revelation of his sexuality can serve as an inspiration to employees who are members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community. Cooper is just one of the many talented professionals who happen to be gay or lesbian. This suggests that one should not discriminate against people because of their gender.

Additionally, being bias against employee members of the LGBT community creates hostile environment in the workplace, which is why the California government implements the Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA). Under this state law, employers are not allowed to discriminate against employees and applicants based on their gender identity and expression.

Regarding this, California workers and applicants who were discriminated based on their gender are advised to seek assistance from a Los Angeles discrimination attorney who can help them in claiming for damages.

0 comments:

Post a Comment